Senior Regulatory Counsel
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2023
Airwallex is a global payments fintech company transforming the way businesses move and manage money globally. We have built a global financial infrastructure platform to help businesses transact, collect and pay across 130+ countries and 50+ currencies, without the constraints of the traditional global financial system. We've grown to 13 global locations and have raised over $900 million in funding. To support our ambitious growth plans, we’re looking for smart, collaborative and passionate people who are looking to make a genuine impact.
Airwallex’s global Regulatory Compliance & Licensing Team works cross-functionally and across multiple jurisdictions to develop and execute regulatory strategies that facilitate expansion into new markets and sustainable growth of Airwallex’s operations worldwide. The team is responsible for applying for new regulatory licenses as we expand in product suites and geographic regions, and for putting in place robust regulatory compliance measures and programs.
As Senior Regulatory Counsel, you will be a valuable member of the global legal and compliance team and will help our rapidly growing business navigate an increasingly complex regulatory landscape. Although you will be based in San Francisco, you will have multi-regional responsibility by supporting our regulatory strategy and advising on complex regulatory issues in the United States, Canada, and possibly Latin America. You will also be responsible for ensuring we are compliant with our licensing and other regulatory requirements by implementing appropriate measures and controls. This dynamic role is ideal for someone who enjoys wearing multiple hats and solving complex issues for our clients, is detail oriented, willing to take on challenges and changes, obsessively curious and intellectually honest, thrives on taking actions and delivering impactful results, and aims to inspire and be inspired.
- Be responsible for all regulatory and licensing issues relating to our business in North America and our possible expansion into Latin America (LATAM).
- Monitor, report and influence regulatory trends and developments in North America and other LATAM jurisdictions. Work closely with the Product Legal and Financial Crime Compliance teams to ensure compliance.
- Review and update manuals, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with laws and regulations in North America and other LATAM jurisdictions.
- Support local and global Product, Strategy and Management teams on launch into new markets or expansion of regulatory licenses in existing markets.
- Liaise with senior stakeholders of the Airwallex group, located around the world.
- Manage external counsel and consultants on regulatory matters.
- Develop and manage Airwallex’s regulatory submissions and filings, and report on regulatory requirements internally and in regulatory filings
- Support government relations outreach to legislators and regulatory agencies
- Lean in – you are proactive with business partners to identify the important issues and know how to prioritize to keep pace with a fast-moving business
- Possess strong legal instincts – you possess strong analytical and drafting skills developed from tackling a variety of projects at past roles and are a quick learner who enjoys new challenges
- Are a natural process improver - you have a well-honed ability to identify inefficiencies and uplift processes accordingly
- Are a strong communicator - you can synthesize and communicate recommendations to stakeholders and senior management in a concise yet thorough way
- Are a team player – you build rapport to become a vital part of a small, fast-paced team and work collaboratively with people at all levels and across functions and cultures
- Are a doer – you are self-motivated, thoughtful and passionate about effecting change within the organization and hold yourself accountable for delivering key outcomes
- Juris Doctor and 10+ years of post-qualification experience
- Strong regulatory experience gained in the fintech industry, reputable law firms or financial institutions.
- Sound knowledge of the financial services regulatory environment
- Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to deal with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Proactive, results-driven, and take ownership of your work.
- Ability to multi-task and a team player with strong communication skills
- Strong drafting skills
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We organize regular team building events, encourage hybrid/flexible working, and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard color, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters.
Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.
See more open positions at Airwallex
Something looks off?