Legal Counsel (Financial Regulatory) - EMEA
Accounting & Finance, Legal
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
Airwallex’s global Regulatory Compliance & Licensing Team works cross-functionally and across multiple jurisdictions to develop and execute regulatory strategies that facilitate the launch into new markets and sustainably scale up Airwallex’s operations worldwide by applying for new regulatory licences as we expand in products suits and geographic regions, in addition to putting in place robust regulatory compliance measures for implementing and executing the licences.
As the Legal Counsel (Regulatory), you will be The Netherlands but will also have multi-jurisdictional responsibility by supporting areas in the broader EMEA region. This role will have a strong focus on advising complex regulatory issues regionally. You will also be responsible to ensuring we are compliant with our licensing requirements by implementing appropriate measures and controls.
As a Legal Counsel, you will be a valuable member of the global legal and compliance team. You will be given the opportunity to support a rapidly growing business and the management team to navigate an increasingly complex regulatory landscape. This dynamic role is ideal for someone who enjoys wearing multiple hats and solving complex issues and blockers for our clients, is detail oriented, willing to take on challenges and changes, obsessively curious and intellectually honest, thrives on taking actions and delivering impactful results, and aims to inspire and be inspired.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Being an integral part of the legal team that handles all regulatory and licensing issues relating to our EMEA businesses, spanning the full range of financial services products in the market.
- Advising local, regional and global Product, Strategy, Management, Financial Partnerships and market expansion teams on launch of new markets, products or business initiatives.
- Assisting with licensing applications and regulatory engagements with key regulators in EMEA.
- Providing regulatory analysis and input in key corporate governance committees within the organisation, including compliance and senior management forums.
- Monitoring EMEA regulatory trends and developments, and working closely with our Financial Crime Compliance team to ensure compliance with local regulations.
- Designing, reviewing and updating compliance frameworks, including policies, procedures, manuals and compliance registers to ensure compliance with EMEA laws and regulations.
- Liaising with senior cross-functional stakeholders globally.
- Liaising with external counsel on a wide range of legal and regulatory matters.
What you bring:
- 3+ years of legal experience.
- Solid experience gained in the fintech industry, reputable law firm(s), regulatory bodies and/or regulated financial institutions.
- Sound knowledge of the financial services regulatory environment in The Netherlands and/or EMEA (experience with regulators across multiple jurisdictions is a definite advantage).
- Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to deal with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proactive, results-driven, and take ownership for their work.
- A team player with strong communication skills.
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.