Legal Counsel / Senior Legal Counsel, Data & Privacy
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business-builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle-East and North America.
This position plays a pivotal role within the recently established global Data & Privacy department, which operates as part of the broader and acclaimed legal, compliance, and risk team. As a key contributor reporting to the Director of Data & Privacy, you'll be at the forefront of ensuring Airwallex aligns with China's privacy and data security legal framework. Your expertise will extend to providing legal counsel to the Product, Engineering, Commercial, and Marketing teams, guiding them through data and privacy regulations in China and other APAC regions. Your impact is instrumental in supporting Airwallex's ongoing growth and expansion endeavors
What you'll be doing:
- Collaborate with Business leadership, Engineering, Product, and Information Security teams to implement China's data regulations (PIPL, DSL, and Cyber Security laws)
- Develop and execute a comprehensive compliance program for China data rules.
- Provide privacy counseling to Product teams, ensuring adherence to China's data regulations.
- Work closely with the Product and Legal Regulatory team on privacy by design, privacy impact assessments, and contractual support
- Lead or support privacy counseling and contractual assistance for other APAC regions
- Support the Director, Data & Privacy in formulating the data strategy for Airwallex's China business and operations.
- Coordinate international data flows for the broader Airwallex business.
- Engage in strategic data initiatives, with potential involvement in projects for the EU, US, and other regions.
You will bring:
- 6-10 years of post-qualification experience, preferably gained in a dynamic, fast-growing digital, fintech, or technology company.
- Qualification either through bar admission or a common law jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 3 years of general privacy experience, with a solid understanding of China data laws, including the Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL), Data Security Law, and Cyber Security Law.
- Familiarity with other major privacy regimes such as GDPR, CCPA, PDPA, PIPEDA.
- Professional proficiency in both English and Mandarin is essential.
- Possess a highly commercial and practical mindset, demonstrating self-starting abilities to identify and prioritize opportunities effectively.
- Proven experience in product and privacy counseling within an agile environment.
- Demonstrate a global outlook combined with deep local knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work seamlessly across multiple functions, with a track record of successfully influencing a broad stakeholder group.
- Advantageous to have experience in technology, financial services, and/or within a high-growth environment.
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organize regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard color, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status when making our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.