Head of Corporate Affairs, Asia Pacific
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business-builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle-East and North America.
Airwallex is redefining financial services in the digital economy with the world’s most powerful global financial infrastructure and operating system for modern businesses. As the company scales its reach and deepens its offer, we seek a seasoned corporate affairs leader to join the team as Head of Corporate Affairs, Asia Pacific.
Reporting to the Global Head of Corporate Affairs, with a dotted line to the Chief Revenue Officer and Executive General Manager for APAC, you will play an instrumental role in helping to build Airwallex’s presence in the region and promote and protect Airwallex’s reputation globally at a time of rapid expansion.
We seek a seasoned corporate communicator with public affairs, issues management, media relations, and thought leadership expertise to help Airwallex further build and protect its brand in APAC through differentiated narratives, scrappy newsjacking, and targeted stakeholder engagement.
Your role requires extensive communication engagement and relationship-building with external stakeholders, including media, conference organizers, industry leaders, customers, analysts, regulators, and internal stakeholders across the company. This role will have significant c-suite exposure and requires executive presence, strategic sensibility, and business savvy. You will also be representing Airwallex as a spokesperson with seniority and with credible knowledge of our business.
The ideal candidate has at least 15 years of experience, with a blend of agency and in-house roles, expertise in highly regulated industries and B2B technology, and prior enterprise tech, fintech, or payments experience preferred but not required.
As a leading member of our high-performing team, you will have an opportunity to join and strengthen our vision to shape Airwallex’s successful growth trajectory.
- Oversee regional corporate affairs strategy and execution for Asia Pacific, leading a team across China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Australia/New Zealand.
- Help connect Airwallex more deeply to the Singapore business and innovation community, building on our commitment to make Singapore our global headquarters.
- Lead and implement a wide-ranging stakeholder communications and engagement strategy for Airwallex's Asia business, focusing particularly on media and industry influencers.
- Devise and implement a holistic engagement program that includes providing access to senior media contacts to strengthen Airwallex's reputation.
- Help shape the external profile of our global leadership & what they should be known for in the region, and how it fits into the company's global corporate affairs strategy.
- Contribute to and work with the Corporate Affairs team to update Airwallex's messaging playbook, including key policy issues.
- Represent Airwallex as a key spokesperson and manage your team in performing all "press office" duties for the region.
- Proactively initiate campaigns, including media placements and conference keynote opportunities, to position Airwallex as a thought leader in tech and business.
- Partner deeply with marketing and sales colleagues for media and conference opportunities.
- Provide counsel as a trusted advisor, help assess reputational risk matters, and handle sensitive and crisis communication.
- Implement all APAC's external and internal communication efforts, including corporate, product, customer, and partnership announcements.
- Supervise agency relationships, provide guidance, and optimize output.
What you bring:
- Solid domain knowledge in public affairs and policy development, media relations, internal and external communications
- Direct experience and working relationships with journalists, producers, and editors
- Understanding of leading industry groups and other thought-leading organizations in our space, specifically in Singapore and across APAC
- Proven track record in developing and maintaining thriving, successful teams across multiple geographies
- Demonstrated ability to deliver tangible outcomes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication ability, strong executive presence
- Strong management skills and proven ability to influence and collaborate across functions
- Experience working across international markets with a culturally diverse team.
- Proven consensus-building and interpersonal skills
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to problem solve, test and learn. The resilience to try and try again.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, highly adaptable, and able to reprioritize and change gears quickly.
The person who will succeed in this role is:
- A strategic thinker, do-er, and self-starter who can operate at a high level to understand strategic objectives while not being afraid to roll up your sleeves to execute and implement with good attention to detail.
- A quick learner who acts in real-time and can problem-solve and respond to fast-changing situations.
- A team player with excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills who can adapt to different cultures and personalities.
- A grounded person who exhibits high professional objectivity, integrity, awareness, and maturity with values aligned with Airwallex’s.
- A strong communicator and culture carrier who can exert influence and impact on executives and senior leaders in the company.
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organize regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard color, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status when making our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.