Senior Legal Counsel
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2023
Brighte is on a mission to make every home sustainable.
By offering financial solutions to homeowners, we’re making renewable energy and home improvements more accessible to the everyday Aussie.
Between Nov 2016 and Feb 2022, Brighte has facilitated the installation of solar systems for over 110,000 households. Currently we have 1700 GWh generated by our customers each year which is saving 1 million + metric tons on C02 emissions per year!
Our founder and CEO, Katherine McConnell, has been awarded Telstra Business Woman of the year in 2020 as well as winning the Sustainability Crusader award at B&T's 2023 Women Leading Tech Awards. She is a passionate and humble leader who has a human first approach to business. As a business we have been awarded AFR Sustainability Leader in the Banking and Finance category and won the inaugural Sustainability Award at the Affies!
We value different perspectives, skills and backgrounds and have been recognised for our strength in creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, winning Best Workplace Diversity (Finnies 2021).
Like what you've read so far? Read on for info on this role!
Brighte’s Legal team exist to provide innovative legal services that fast track us to making every home sustainable. We’re looking for another lawyer to join us on this mission - someone who will work with us and contribute to our vision to be the most commercial, agile and value adding legal function in the tech ecosystem. As Brighte grows, so does our legal function and we’re looking for someone who is happy to help scale our legal operations and is comfortable with growth and change.
What You'll Do
- You’ll be part of a small but dynamo team that services the whole business
- This role will own contracts at Brighte including negotiating key commercial and government contracts so it will suit someone who is fluent with contracts and happy to take the ball go to woe on a negotiation as well as being across how the contract will impact the business commercially in order to help operationalise things
- You’ll do general commercial advice such as some competition, privacy, and employment, as well as training for the business, supporting any corporate activities such as debt and equity capital fundraising, and governance and board/director support
- You’ll be a trusted advisor to Brighte’s internal and external stakeholders, partnering closely with people within the company and externally to understand their needs and deliver to help them achieve their goals
- You’ll actively look for and identify new projects and new ways that legal can add value to the business and you’ll take the ball on making them happen
Who You Are
- You’re 8+ PQE
- Ideally you’ve got a corporate or commercial background - but contracting expertise is the main requirement so we can be flexible on background!
- You’re a contracting wiz and are happy leading complex negotiations with large corporates and governments
- You’re a different kind of lawyer. You want to get your hands into business, working with stakeholders directly and creating value for a company. You’re interested in businesses, how they run and how they work
- You’re highly commercial in the way you look at and advise on the law. Brighte’s legal team pride ourselves on being advisors to the company and sitting in with key stakeholders of the business, rather than being seen as an expense or blocker to the growth of the business
- You’ll have high initiative and independence, and be comfortable working autonomously and owning projects for legal. But you’ll also be happy working collaboratively as the legal stakeholder on cross functional projects
- You’re not only comfortable with change - you love it. Brighte is a very dynamic environment - you thrive on constant changes both micro and macro and are excited to adjust and adapt. Start up/high growth company experience would of course be a bonus but not required
- You have a bias for action, a curious mind - always questioning and innovating and attacking things from first principles
- All the normal things that lawyers are great at also apply :) Your communication and interpersonal skills are stellar, you have a detailed oriented mindset but also see the big picture, and you have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Named LinkedIn’s #10 Top Australian Start Up (2021), we know we wouldn’t be anywhere without our investors, who believe in our mission and the opportunities that lie ahead for a brighter future.
Airtree Ventures, Mike Cannon-Brookes’ Grok Investments, Kim Jackson and Scott Farquhar’s Skip Capital, and Qualgro Partners all continue to support Brighte in making this dream a reality!
If you want to join this mission-driven, inclusive, and highly collaborative team, click apply and upload your resume! All applicants will receive a response.