Controller - Nelnet Renewable Energy
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, renewable energy solutions, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.Nelnet Renewable Energy is becoming a significant force in renewable energy, solar power, and cleantech as it continues to invest and offer various integrated services in these areas, in the process making a positive impact on the environment and communities. Nelnet is currently focused on continuing to increase its visibility and efforts of long-term solar project asset development and ownership. We are an innovative and entrepreneurial company that is passionate about reducing carbon emissions, enhancing grid stabilization and predictability, increasing the resilience and opportunities available in local communities, and creating market efficiencies. We believe our relationships, reputation, integrity, sense of purpose, experience, and capital lends itself to us becoming a formidable partner, investor, and creator within the renewable energy industry for years to come.
This position will be integral in supporting the accounting functions across all Nelnet Renewable Energy including accounting for various renewable energy investments, construction of solar assets, and operational accounting of long-term solar assets. This role will also aid in establishing, implementing, and maintaining the financial records, plans, metrics, and policies of the Nelnet Energy Services organization, including fiscal controls, preparation and interpretation of financial reports, and safeguarding the organization’s assets. The Accounting Director will develop and maintain overall accounting policies and controls while assisting in long-range planning and advises management on financial affairs.
This will be a hybrid position working both in person and home office.
1. Assist with financial statement review and consolidation of financial statements.
2. Application of internal controls over all accounting functions.
3. Perform review of journal entries, analysis, and reporting related to complex GAAP accounting transactions
4. Apply results of research to the Company’s operations and/or specific transactions
5. Reconcile complex accounts, extensive research, advanced problem solving, and resolution within corporate standards
6. Assist with various accounting projects and report on performance
7. Document, report and follow through on recommendations from projects
8. Manage expectations through consistent and timely updates
9. Work with external organizations and internal departments on project initiatives and various accounting issues
10. Manage multiple conflicting priorities & consistently meet deadlines.
11. Identify trends and problems.
12. Lead, train, retain and develop staff.
13. Lead and participate in the financial perspective of multiple renewable energy investments and projects.
14. Analyze long-term impacts and plans accordingly.
15. Strive to make a difference through continued self-improvement.
16. Ensure compliance with Federal regulations and departmental policies.
17. Provide feedback to the leadership team regarding key performance indicators (leading indicators)
18. Provide information to other areas of the company.
19. Develop, maintain and distribute reports.
4 year college degree preferred, advanced degree or CPA preferred.
4 years of experience in field or related field or commensurate education, 2 years supervisory or leadership experience.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
1. Service Excellence
2. Oral communications
3. Written communications
4. Working with MS Office
5. Problem Solving
6. Managing Multiple Priorities
7. Decision Making and Critical Thinking
9. Team Management and Team Building
10. Planning: Tactical, Strategic
11. Managing Workforce Diversity
12. Project Management
Salary range for this position is $100,000 to $160,000 depending on experience.
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.