Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, renewable energy solutions, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.An Auditor at Nelnet has the opportunity to see a wide variety of processes, business areas and technologies across our diverse company. We are looking for someone who loves to learn and has an interest in diverse business processes, policies and procedures, and new emerging risks and technologies. The Auditor I role is an entry level position that will work with the Senior Auditor and Audit Manager to conduct internal audits and build relationships with stakeholders across the Company. The Auditor I will assist with audit project tasks that lead to assessing Nelnet’s internal controls for the diverse business environment. The end result of the Auditor I’s efforts provides assurances to customers related to the adequacy of Nelnet’s control environment, business processes, and quality of information, all in an effort to maintain Nelnet’s reputation as a leader in the industries it serves. If you want to work in a culture where you can pick your work environment, engage with top talent, be valued, and have opportunities for growth and development, this role is for you.
Internal Audit: ~75%
• Participate in and assist with the execution of audit project tasks such as walkthroughs and testing to assess the design and effectiveness of controls.
• Collect and understand compliance requirements, policies, procedures, regulations, and controls related to Nelnet’s diverse business processes
• Document the results of walkthroughs and testing using templates and software.
• Communicate the status of audit projects to the supervisory staff.
External Audit: ~20%
• Assist in performing audit work and obtaining needed documentation for external auditors in their execution of SSAE 18 and SOX engagements, as well as other external audits.
• Develop knowledge and understanding of Nelnet, its strategies, policies, procedures, and operations.
• Establish and support working relationships with coworkers and other stakeholders.
• Demonstrate a commitment to teamwork and show a positive professional image.
• Assist with special projects with other areas of the company as directed.
• Through a curiosity and learning mindset, take part in the continuous improvement of Audit Services’ processes.
• Engage in education opportunities to develop and support knowledge of Nelnet, technology, the financial services industry, and audit industry.
• Assist other members of Audit Services in completing assignments as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
**Pay Range for this position is - $42k-$79k depending on experience
A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in accounting, or similar field is required.
EXPERIENCE: 0-2 years of experience working as a student or in a professional environment. Any prior experience in internal or external audit, quality assurance, process improvement, and/or technology is a plus but is not required.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
• Curiosity – likes to learn
• Problem Solver – pays close attention to the details and analyzes them
• Collaboration – likes to work with other people by listening and talking to them and helps others with their tasks
• Self-starter – takes the initiative to take action on projects and finds a way to get things done
• Communicator - clearly communicate thoughts verbally and in writing
• Technical - Microsoft Office Suite, as well as willingness to learn new tools
• Interest in learning about related professional certifications such as a Certified Public Accounting (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).
• Willingness to travel when needed, including overnight travel, for projects and education (up to 10%)
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.