Corporate Tax Accountant I
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, renewable energy solutions, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.Join a dynamic tax department at a growing and diverse publicly traded company. Learn from and grow with a team of certified public accountants with various backgrounds. This candidate will be an integral part of a high performing team with a particular focus on the federal and state income tax compliance of Nelnet and its multiple joint ventures.
Prepare federal and state income tax filings and supporting documentation, as well as, assist with international tax compliance efforts. Provide assistance with tax examinations and correspondence. Conduct occasional research and planning exercises. Contribute to the overall administration of Nelnet’s tax and financial reporting policies.
1. Prepare federal and state income tax filings and supporting documentation.
2. Assist with and prepare state apportionment work-papers.
3. Provide assistance related to state income tax audits.
4. Prepare various gross receipt tax return filings.
5. Analyze various tax correspondence and route to responsible parties.
6. Perform occasional income tax research and assist with tax planning analysis.
7. Assist with the overall administration of Nelnet’s tax policy.
Bachelors Degree required in Accounting or Business Administration with an emphasis in Taxation. Certified Public Accountant (CPA)-Preferred
1+ years of tax compliance and return preparation experience in a public accounting firm or other commercial business, tax research & planning experience, and a general knowledge of GAAP. Multi-state tax preparation experience is preferred.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
1. Strong Organizational Skills: able to take large amounts of data, organize effectively, and present in a meaningful and concise manner.
2. Efficiency/Accountability: Allocates time efficiently, focusing on ever-shifting priorities, continually seeks ways to improve individual and team productivity. Highly accountable and able to manage multiple complex tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Effective follow through skills.
3. Energy, Drive, and Motivation: Embraces challenges enthusiastically, then executes relentlessly.
4. Excellent business judgment and strong analytical skills.
5. Extensive Microsoft Excel experience: utilizing a variety of functions including pivot tables.
6. Able to work independently.
7. Strong/confident communication style: Effectively communicates with and engages all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing: displays confidence in expressing opinions and in offering a point of view. Strong interpersonal skills.
**Pay range for this position is - $50-$65k, please note this position is hybrid in Lincoln, NE
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.