Intern - Pathway (Accounting/Finance)
Our Vision: We make dreams possible.
Yes, we’re a student loan servicer. We’re also a technology company, idea incubator, start-up accelerator, and K-12 and higher education expert. At Nelnet, we’re so much more than what you think—and we’re just getting started. So, no matter what you want to do in life—build codes or build brands—we’re the best place to do it.
Join Nelnet as an intern and do real work that matters to our business. All Nelnet interns receive one-on-one mentorship, competitive pay, casual dress, flexible schedule, intern-specific programming, and meaningful work experience.
Apply to one of our internships today. Your career awaits.If you’re looking for an unparalleled experience to make an impact on your future career, we’d love to hear from you. Through our Pathway Program, interns have the opportunity to expand their network, get real world experience within a business field, and build upon your passions – some of which you’ll discover along the way.
Throughout several department rotations during the academic year, you will commit to working on diverse teams and receiving mentorship from our company’s top contributors. You will become part of a unique cohort designed to support, challenge, and engage you through business-case presentations, networking opportunities, and intern events.
Accounting/Finance – Do you like data, numbers, working in Excel? Interns in this track will work with a variety of business lines at Nelnet, handling a wide range of Financial, Accounting, Tax, & Systems tasks. They will work closely with mentors to do relevant research, provide financial analysis assistance, assist with clerical accounting duties, and present information to associates. Overall, interns will have the opportunity to make their departments more efficient & effective using unique skills. Interns in this track rotate through these departments:
• Nelnet Business Services (NBS) Facts Ed
• Nelnet Business Services (NBS) Accounting
• Nelnet Business Services (NBS) Financial Reporting
• Nelnet Internal Audit
• Nelnet Finance
This program is available for undergrad students in the U.S. for the entire duration of the academic year and will be conducted hybrid. For those that are located near a Nelnet regional office with a team presence at it, we will help to coordinate in-person work following local health guidelines and procedures at that time.
You will receive:
Computer Equipment: Laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, for the duration of your internship
Day-to-day support from direct mentor(s), campus recruiting, and Nelnet support functions regarding any questions you might have.
The most comfortable Nelnet t-shirts along with other swag items to help you feel at home.
Pathway Interns will work directly as a functioning member of multiple teams within Nelnet. Interns will rotate through a variety of business departments across the enterprise, adding value to projects already in place or creating new ones to own yourself. In addition, they will collaborate with other interns to complete multiple projects based on real business problems Nelnet faces today. Through this program, we have scheduled events, programming, networking, and mentorship opportunities that interns will be expected to participate in.
Working towards a degree in Management, Accounting, Finance, Tax, Communication, or other business-related major
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
• Has the confidence to present relevant information to other associates.
• Uses different analysis techniques to look at competitive markets.
• Has a strong ability to utilize social media to leverage the business’s expertise.
• Has the necessary network infrastructure to work virtually if needed.
• Can work effectively independently or in a team-based environment.
• Is self-motivated, accountable, and driven to maximize opportunities presented in the internship.
• Possesses exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
• Is comfortable with some degree of ambiguity and able to adapt to multiple rotations throughout the academic year.
• Willing to share new ideas (with interns and full-time associates), while recognizing feedback as an opportunity for professional growth
• Ideally, will be a sophomore or junior in college during the internship term, though all students will be considered.
• Understands how to manage time between school and work responsibilities.
• Must be able to work at least 15-20 hours/week consistently.
• Is able to fulfill all hours within normal business operating hours (9am-4pm CST)
Pay - $14 - $18
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.