IT Software Engineer - Accessibility Focused
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, renewable energy solutions, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.We are looking for a new software developer to join the Nelnet NDS Diversification Team. The initial focus of this position will be to work with the State of Colorado to remediate accessibility concerns in their websites, applications and interfaces. This person may also be involved in the creation of new accessible content and products. They will work in collaboration with our Accessibility team and IT delivery teams as we work to ensure compliance with accessibility standards and to provide superior customer experiences for everyone using our products.
1. Remediate websites, applications and interfaces to ensure a high level of accessibility as identified by accessibility audit.
2. Create accessible content and interfaces as required.
3. Participate in solution design to satisfy a wide range of business needs.
4. Analysis and translation of business requirements into technical requirements for development, and creation of design documents and technical specifications.
5. Adhere to Best Practices and Standards in the areas of technology and accessibility.
6. Keep abreast of advancements and changes in the field of accessibility and develop an understanding of how new techniques impact accessibility and can be leveraged to provide business solutions.
7. Evaluate web applications for accessibility, using a combination of automated, manual, and functional testing techniques, including the use of assistive technology.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
Minimum 3 years of experience in software development; accessibility experience preferred.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
2. Understanding of best practices and methods to integrate applications within the organization and with external partners.
3. Strong knowledge of the full software development lifecycle; with exposure to agile or iterative approaches to delivery preferred.
4. Familiarity with CI/CD pipeline encouraged.
5. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to quickly learn new technologies and business functions.
7. Strong analytical skills to determine effective approaches to business solutions.
8. Knowledge of or willingness to learn Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2.
9. Knowledge of or willingness to learn disability law, as it applies to digital accessibility, and Section 504/508.
10. Knowledge of universal and inclusive design principles.
11. Ability to learn and implement best practices for accessible websites and applications.
12. Experience with or willingness to learn accessibility for mobile applications.
13. Experience using or willingness to learn assistive technology to evaluate functional accessibility. (especially screen readers such as NVDA, JAWS, VoiceOver, or TalkBack, and keyboard-only testing.
14. Demonstrated effective performance in a team-oriented environment.
15. Experience with or willingness to learn common accessibility evaluation tools, e.g. axe and WAVE.
16. Will require consultant work with external entities (coordinating work steps/flow, communicating with client).
17. Ability to obtain federal security clearance.
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.