Principal Product Manager : Payments
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2023
Nium was founded on the mission to build the global payments infrastructure of tomorrow, today. With the onset of the on-demand economy, its single platform for global payments and card issuing is shaping how banks, fintechs, and businesses everywhere to disburse and collect funds instantly across borders. Its payout network supports 100 currencies and spans 195+ countries, 100 of which in real-time. Funds can be disbursed to accounts, wallets, and cards and collected locally in 35 markets. Nium’s growing card issuance business is already available in 34 countries. Nium holds regulatory licenses and authorizations in over 40 countries, enabling seamless onboarding, rapid integration, and compliance – regardless of geography. The company is co-headquartered in San Francisco and Singapore, with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai.
Managing the payments product needs a product manager to solve problems along 3 separate and intertwined areas:
Product – Customer discovery and experience
Network – Growing and optimising coverage in terms of geography, currencies, payment methods, customer segment needs
Technology – creating and optimising technology platforms to deliver a seamless payments experience across customer segments in multiple geographies
- Discover and solve for opportunities to increase revenue as well as adoption of the product through market/customer research and experience
- Liaise with sales and account management teams to gather market feedback and share regular updates to leadership team
- Be on top of market trends across different markets and payment methods, e.g. accounts, wallets, cards, cash
- Own payout/payin features as a product to deliver experience, coverage, speed and efficiency goals
- Create roadmap based on inputs about markets, customer segments, use cases, scalability, etc.
- Work with Partnership development teams to translate roadmap into pipeline of banks and payment partners
- Work with global banks and payment partners to finalise contours of the partnerships
- Create functional requirements and technical requirements/user stories to get these delivered through an Agile tech team as well non-technical stakeholders
- Adopt a technology and data driven approach to measuring and delivering efficiency goals across STP rates, error handling and returns
- Strategic thinking – develop payments strategy in alignment with the company’s financial infrastructure strategy, target customer segments and revenue goals
- People skills - This would be a global role and would require the person to work across geographies, time zones, cultures and competencies as well as internal teams who might not be very familiar with global payments and its intricacies
- Be willing to get your hands dirty – from writing Jira stories, drawing swim lane diagrams to running sprint meetings
- Being articulate – communicate and justify your strategy behind the roadmap to domain experts/leaders in a crowded and evolving payment space
- Knowledge of payments – with the range of payment methods, clearing and settlements, currencies, regulations, automation challenges that you will deal with, knowledge and understanding will be key to success
- Comfort with technology – dealing with engineers and architects to design new flows, adapt systems to new market innovations while maintaining integrity and scalability of the platform is vital
Ideally, you would have:
- 6-9 years experience in payments product development/management
- Experience working with a global payments company
- Developed global payment products across banking/alternate payment methods
- Worked with banking and payments partners
- An engineering degree (a management degree is a bonus)
At Nium we center our way of work around 3 core values globally -
#KeepItSimple, #MakeItBetter and #WinItTogether.
What's it like to be a Nium'er?
We cut through complexity, simplify at speed and operate with scale in mind.
We build innovative solutions that make our customers' lives better.
We win in this competitive market by collaborating as one team.
For more information visit www.nium.com
See more open positions at Nium
Something looks off?