Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2023
Nium, Global Leader in Payments
Nium was founded on the mission to build the global payments infrastructure of tomorrow, today. With the onset of the on-demand economy, its single platform for global payments and card issuing is shaping how banks, fintechs, and businesses everywhere to disburse and collect funds instantly across borders. Its payout network supports 100 currencies and spans 195+ countries, 100 of which in real-time. Funds can be disbursed to accounts, wallets, and cards and collected locally in 35 markets.
Nium’s growing card issuance business is already available in 34 countries. Nium holds regulatory licenses and authorizations in over 40 countries, enabling seamless onboarding, rapid integration, and compliance – regardless of geography. The company is co-headquartered in San Francisco and Singapore, with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai.
At Nium, we are changing the world one transaction at a time. By eliminating the complexity in global payments, we are moving the world closer to a future of frictionless commerce. It’s our modular platform that helps businesses pay and get paid across the globe with services for pay-outs, pay-ins, card issuance, crypto-as-a-service, and banking-as-a-service.
Once connected to our platform, businesses can pay out in more than 100 currencies to over 190 countries - 85 of which in real time. Funds can be received in 27 markets, including Southeast Asia, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, India, and the US. Our growing card issuance business is already available in 34 countries, including Europe (SEPA), the UK, Australia and Singapore. Nium owns a broad portfolio of payments licenses across 11 countries, enabling seamless global payments and rapid integration, regardless of geography.
And now we’re building a world-class team to help us bring our mission of powering a future of frictionless commerce to life. If you’re a risk taker, a maverick who embraces our values of simply, better, together. If you see the world as it should be, not what it is. If you’re a problem solver and a builder, then be a part of our element of success, and come join us today.
Where do you come into the picture?
Our card issuance products help companies operate their payments globally, ensuring they can get the best acceptance rate and most cost-effective solution in 30 countries across 20+ currencies. Our B2B Travel product helps travel companies reduce their operating capital, transaction and foreign exchange costs, reduce fraud exposure, and earn rewards from each transaction. We’re the travel payments market leader in Europe, and we’re rapidly expanding our coverage to more regions.
We’re growing our engineering team to build the next generation of our card issuance platform – enabling us to expand our products & services globally, handle rapid volume growth (2x YoY), and provide industry-leading up-time and reliability.
As a senior member of a cross-functional team, you will partner closely with product and cross-functional leaders and drive the development of our products & core platform initiatives.
What will a day @ Nium look like?
- Lead the planning and technical design of our projects and contribute to our technology process and strategy
- Drive improvements in engineering techniques, standards, practices and processes across the entire Nium Travel engineering team, always encouraging a culture of knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Collaborate with peers across the company, making sure best practices and tools are shared and leveraged across the entire company
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of the business logic embodied in our software and its development infrastructure and project delivery process
- Identify and propose strategies for technical problem solving, while actively participating in guilds and community of practice teams and initiatives to shaping our technology roadmap
- At least 5 years working in Engineering, with 2 years at Senior Engineering level;
- A proven track record in leading the development of new products & launching products at scale;
- Expert in Java/JVM, with a track record in building large scale distributed applications (or polyglot open jumping into Java);
- A team player, capable of working with other Senior Engineers to solve complex projects, identifying opportunities for ownership;
- Payments domain experience, in either B2B or B2C ensuring you have the capability to effectively partner with Product Managers;
- Experience of transitioning from a monolith/on-prem system to microservices/cloud;
- Experienced in using databases at large scale
What we offer at Nium
We Value Performance: Through competitive salaries, performance bonuses, uncapped sales commissions & annual salary reviews, we ensure that all our employees are rewarded and incentivized for their hard work
We care for our Employees: The wellness of Nium’ers is our #1 priority, we offer medical coverage along with 24/7 employee assistance program & generous vacations, and year-end shut down. We also provide flexible working & a hybrid working environement (3 days per week in the office)
We Upskill Ourselves: We are curious, always want to learn more & upskill ourselves: We therefore do not only provide role-specific traning but also offer all our employees LinkedIn learning solutions & dedicated learning allowances
We Constantly Innovate: Nium has been awarded multiple times for its constant innovations & growth since our inception, such as the 2022 CBI 250 Most Promising Fintech Award or the 2021 Financial Time top 50 High Growth companies in APAC
We Celebrate Together: Work is also about having fun with your colleagues & creating great relationships. We often celebrate together through company-wide social events, team bounding activities, happy hours, team offsites, and so much more!
We thrive with Diversity: Nium has always thrived with a diverse & multicultural workforce, with more than 33 nationalities across 18+ countries. As an Equality Opportunity Employer, we are committed to providing a safe & welcoming environment for everyone.
What's it like to be a Nium'er?
At Nium we center our way of work around 3 core values globally:
#KeepItSimple: We cut through complexity, simplify at speed and operate with scale in mind
#MakeItBetter: We build innovative solutions that make our customers' lives better
#WinItTogether: We win in this competitive market by collaborating as one team
For more information visit www.nium.com