Senior Product and Regulatory Counsel
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Nium, the Leader in Real-Time Global Payments
At Nium, we operate at the intersection of an increasingly interconnected world, where the traditional finance industry has been disrupted, and on-demand is in demand. Our payments infrastructure is leading a transformation in payments, enabling anyone, anywhere to make and receive payments instantly, regardless of the location or currency. We currently support:
-Regulatory Licenses and Authorizations in 40+ Countries, enabling seamless onboarding, rapid integration, and compliance
-190+ Pay Out Markets – 100+ in real time
-35+ Pay In Markets
-30+ Card Issuance Markets
-100+ Supported Currencies
Today, Nium is the leader in real-time global payments and the fastest way to send money across borders. We are co-headquartered in San Francisco and Singapore, with regional offices in Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Lithuania, London, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, and UAE.
Where do you come into the picture?
Nium’s Global Legal Team works at the intersection of financial technology and regulatory frameworks. Our work helps Nium build innovative products, understand and manage risks, and creatively navigate complexity and challenges.
We’re looking for a fast-learning and dynamic Senior Product and Regulatory Counsel, based out of our London office, with familiarity in payments and financial services law to help us continue to drive innovation and accelerate our growth. In this role, you’ll be a deeply embedded and strategic advisor to many teams within Nium including Product, Engineering, Compliance, Bank Partnerships, and Marketing. You'll help to design and build new payments products and services, provide strategic advice about Nium’s legal and regulatory obligations in the UK, EU, and beyond, and help drive our expansion into new markets.
What would a day in your life @ Nium look like?
- You’ll partner closely with product, engineering and business teams in the UK and Europe, as well as global teams, to advise on a range of issues including financial services regulations, payments, consumer protection, data privacy and intellectual property.
- You’ll advise on and manage relationships with Nium’s key UK and European regulators (including the Financial Conduct Authority, Bank of Lithuania, and MFSA).
- You’ll stay up-to-date on applicable laws and regulations dealing with financial services and other relevant areas, help to drive Nium’s strategy in response to changing regulatory environments, and provide training to business teams on relevant regulatory topics.
- You’ll work closely with other members of Nium’s Legal Team to support its global legal and regulatory structure, strategic partnerships and client agreements.
- You’ll help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products and services.
What we’re looking for?
- You have 5+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer in an in-house legal team, top law firm and/or government agency.
- You have familiarity with UK and/or EU payments and financial services laws and regulations (such as the Payment Services Regulation or the Second Payment Services Directive).
- You’re highly collaborative, inquisitive, and solutions-oriented, ideally with prior experience advising on product development at fast-moving technology companies.
- You’re biased towards action and impact, and no task is too big or too small for you; you can roll up your sleeves and get things done.
- You have exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills, can build strong relationships with business colleagues, and can simplify legal concepts and communicate them in easy-to-understand language.
- You exhibit genuine curiosity, are passionate about your work, and enjoy a fast-paced working environment.
- You’re humble with low-ego, have a strong desire to grow and learn, and have a deep commitment to your teammates.
What we offer at Nium
We Value Performance: Through competitive salaries, performance bonuses, uncapped sales commissions and robust performance reviews, we ensure that all employees are rewarded and incentivized for their hard work.
We Care for Our Employees: The wellness of Nium’ers is our #1 priority. In addition to many other benefits, we offer medical coverage, 24/7 employee assistance program, generous time off policies, and a year-end shut down. We also provide a hybrid working environment (3 days per week in the office).
We Upskill Ourselves: We are curious, always want to learn more and upskill ourselves. As well as role-specific training, we also offer a global learning stipend.
We Constantly Innovate: Nium continues to be globally recognized for its constant innovations, growth, and employee-centric mindset since our inception:
We Celebrate Together: Work is also about having fun with your colleagues and forging deep relationships. We host company-wide social events onsite and virtually, provide team morale budget and bonding activities, happy hours, team offsites, and much more!
We Thrive with Diversity: Across 33 nationalities and 18+ countries, our diverse and multicultural team embodies our commitment to a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.
What it’s like to be a Nium'er
At Nium we center our way of work around 3 core values globally:
#KeepItSimple: We cut through complexity, simplify at speed and operate with scale in mind.
#MakeItBetter: We build innovative solutions that make our customers' lives better.
#WinItTogether: We win in this competitive market by collaborating as one team.
For more information, visit www.nium.com.