Mobile Engineer (React Native)
At Slyp we are in the business of customer experience. We think it's crazy that you pay with a smartphone but still receive a centuries old paper receipt. Traditional receipts are nothing but a burden to customers and outside of a proof of purchase, they provide no value to retailers or consumers. We are dedicated to creating world-class technology and helping the environment, one receipt at a time. That's why we have invented the Slyp Smart Receipt.
Why is Slyp a great place to work?
Slyp Village attracts top-notch talent from around the globe. Our inclusive environment allows Slypsters to unleash their creativity and drive, all while being part of a movement that's shaking things up for the better.
Here are some of our benefits:
- Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Generous L&D program - $1500 budget per anniversary for you to use towards honing your craft
- Slyp Gives - we run 2 community give back days each year
- Competitive leave policies including parental leave
- Flexible work and the option to work from anywhere in the world for a period of time
- Sweet pet friendly office, monthly (sometimes random) lunch and learns and always on team fun and experience program
What we are looking for
A Mobile Engineer who will help us build a consumer facing React Native app that gives Australians a better, more sustainable way to get receipts. You will also contribute to our backend services that support both our app, and SDKs and services that we provide to merchants and financial institutions, including the big 4 Australian banks. Slyp enables a checkout experience that delights consumers by delivering a digital receipt, warranty, and loyalty solution for bank, merchant or Slyp customers without any extra steps.
What does a normal day look like?
- Contribute to the team’s rhythm, culture of continuous improvement and innovation
- You think customer and team before self and display behaviours that allow teams and individuals to succeed
- Solve challenging product and engineering problems pragmatically, elegantly and simply
- Crafting code of a high standard that is testable, meets specifications and production ready
- Working with stakeholders, both internal and external, to prioritise and scope feature work
- Be responsible for the software you build, release and support
- Engaging with the product and engineering team in code reviews, planning, design, and technical discussions
- Contributing to our existing and future mobile products and testing frameworks
- Solve challenging engineering and consumer problems pragmatically, elegantly, and simply
- Experimenting with new technologies
What does great look like?
- A strong interest in usability and design aesthetics
- Coaching and mentoring engineers in best practices
- Deep understanding and experience of building a consumer facing Reat Native App
What experience or knowledge you will bring to the team
- In-depth knowledge of Software Engineering, Design Patterns, and Agile Software Development
- Solid experience with React Native and TypeScript, and an eagerness to learn as you go
- Extensive knowledge of modern mobile app development techniques and best practices
- Proven experience building mobile software with and without third party libraries
- Experience with dependency management and CI/CD
- Desire to join a culture of continuous improvement and innovation where you think customer first and display behaviours that influences the success of the team and other individuals
And what other experience or knowledge would help, if you have it!!
- Experience with full stack or backend development would be a bonus
Finally, a little on our technology
- Cloud based and AWS hosted
- We use React Native and React for our app and web frontends, and encourage engineers do some full stack development
- We also support native mobile SDKs to make it easier for our partners to integrate
- Our backend services are primarily TypeScript NodeJS containers running in EKS / Kubernetes
- We lean on AWS serverless technologiessuch as API Gateway (including CloudFront, WAF and Shield), Lambda, Kinesis, SNS and SQS
- We store data in AWS Aurora (Postgres), DynamoDB and S3
- Our data lake is based on AWS serverless technologiessuch as Redshift, Athena, QuickSight and Glue
- We value customer data and keep security front of mind and at our core
Our recruitment process
1. Screening call with our People Partner
2. Interview with Engineering and Product Leads
3. Final Interview with CTO and Co-Founder